Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers here to some of the most frequently asked questions in the Undergraduate Advising Office.

Which Visual Arts classes will be offered next quarter?

You may find the Visual Arts Department Annual Schedule on our website. Please keep in mind that course availability is subject to change.

When can I meet with an advisor?

You may call 858-534-2860 to schedule an appointment or come to Mandeville Center 216 during walk-in hours to speak with an advisor. Our advising hours are:

Monday: 1:30-3:30P
Tuesday: 9:00-11:30A & 1:30-4:00P
Wednesday: 9:00-11:30A & 1:30-4:00P
Thursday: 9:00-11:30A & 1:30-4:00P
Friday: 9:00-11:30A

Current students may contact an advisor through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC) with any brief questions.

Can I take a major class for P/NP?

No, all courses (lower or upper division) taken for major requirements must be taken for a Letter grade, and only grades of C- or better will be accepted.

Can I take a minor class for P/NP?

All courses (lower or upper division) counting towards a Visual Arts minor may be taken for a letter grade or on a P/NP basis. Please keep in mind, no more than one-fourth (25%) of an undergraduate students total UCSD course units may be taken as P/NP. The 'University Requirements' column of your degree audit shows your current P/NP percentage.

Can I use a class from another institution to satisfy major requirements?

You have the ability to petition coursework from your previous institution to satisfy major requirements within UCSD. No petition is guaranteed approval. All coursework must be UC transferable and posted to your Academic History prior to submitting the petition to the department. To petition, you will need the following:

  • An Undergraduate Student Petition form for each course that you are petitioning.
  • A syllabus and course description of the course from your previous institution.
  • Any additional supporting documentation, including: exams, essays, notes, artwork, or textbooks.

Lower division coursework completed at a community college may be petitioned to fulfill lower division major requirements. Please note, some California community college courses have already been pre-approved on Please check this site prior to making the decision to petition.