Skip to main content

Faculty Leave Information

Important Note: All information listed here was taken from the PPM or other central offices. Please confer with the UC PATH facts and checklists for additional information, or call your benefits representative with more complex questions. This page is to be used only as a helpful navigation tool. If any information here has been replaced or modified, UCSD and system-wide revisions supersede this document.


An academic appointee is considered to be on a leave of absence any time he or she takes a leave from normal duties during the prescribed periods of service. Academic appointees who leave the campus prior to obtaining formal approval are in violation of University policy.

Academic appointees with academic-year appointments are expected to be in residence from the first day of the fall quarter through the last day of the spring quarter, except during official University holidays. The UCSD Academic and Administrative Calendar lists the actual quarter dates and official holidays. Academic-year appointees may be absent during the periods between quarters without requesting an official leave, unless they are traveling on official University business.

For both academic-year and fiscal-year appointees, periods of academic recess (e.g., periods between quarters) include recess from formal classes, but not recess from research, committee and other administrative duties, or other University obligations.

To request a leave of absence, faculty must complete the online Request for Absence form. Academic Personnel Specialist Ashley Neal will review the request and get in touch with you if additional information is needed. She will also notify you when your request has been approved by the Chair, and, possibly the Dean, depending on the length and type of leave. 

Leave with Pay

  • Intended Use: Any leave requested that involves the university paying salary, benefits or both.
  • Possible Duration: Variable
  • Restrictions/Constraints: Varies depending on type of leave
  • Affect Pay: Possibly
  • Affect Benefits: Possibly
  • Require Use of Sabbatical Credits: Refer to Extended Leave Policy

Leave without Pay

  • Intended Use: Any leave requested that stops the university from paying salary and benefits.
  • Possible Duration: Up to one year
  • Restrictions/Constraints: Leave without Pay will not be granted to faculty who accept permanent appointments outside of UCSD
  • Affect Pay: Yes
  • Affect Benefits: Yes (can affect service credits as well)
  • Require Use of Sabbatical Credits: No


  • Intended Use: A leave requested as a research opportunity that requires the use of earned sabbatical credits.
  • Possible Duration: Up to one year
  • Restrictions/Constraints: Faculty must return to active duty immediately upon their return
  • Affect Pay: No or Yes if taken below 100%
  • Affect Benefits: Yes or No (can also affect service credits)
  • Require Use of Sabbatical Credits: Yes

Leave of Absence

To request a short leave of up to 10 service or 14 calendar days email the CAO and AP Manager the following information:

  • Date of Departure and Date of Return
  • Destination
  • Purpose of the Trip
  • How missed class sessions will be covered or made up (if not scheduled to teach during the requested absence, please indicate). Note: In addition to departmental approval, leaves involving finals week require a request from the chair to CEP, CEP approval, and three weeks advance notice for processing.
  • What other duties and commitments to the department and/or campus will you be missing during your absence (ex: faculty meeting, committee meeting, etc.)?

*Note: Requests for leave of more than 14 calendar days, but less than an academic quarter, will require the department's standard Leave Request Form, Section Head approval, Chair's Approval, a signed ALAS, and the Dean's approval.

You may refer to the Academic Leave Policy (PPM Online 230-10 Personnel-Academic) for more details.